Overseas coverage for American Medicare recipients

If you are an American on Medicare, you are probably aware that Medicare does not cover Americans traveling abroad. Some Medicare recipients have contacted us about coverage for short-term trips.

Instead of getting separate international coverage you may want to purchase a Medicare supplement plan (C through J) from a local agent. This supplement will cover you for the first 60 days of a trip outside of the USA. There is a $250 deductible. Then the insurance will cover 80 percent of all billed charges up to a lifetime maximum of $50,000. The premium will be between $100 and $150 depending on your age. This “Foreign Travel Emergency” benefit is just one of the benefits in the supplement package. If you want information about Medicare supplement insurance or about an agent that can help you select a Medicare supplement, check out www.mutualofomaha.com , or find an agent in your local phone book. (If you already have a Medicare supplement, you may only need to add $9.00 for overseas coverage.)

If you are not interested in taking out Medicare Supplement insurance, then you will need a good short-term plan that you can apply for online at www.overseashealthinsurance.com.


We work on keeping all information on this site relevant, and free from error.

The information and advice on this website was deemed accurate when it was originally published. GNI cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. For the latest up-to-date information please call us or check brochures and other published materials for latest revision/date.

Print Friendly