International Group Disability Insurance for expats is one of the international insurance benefits that Good Neighbor Insurance provides to our clients serving outside the U.S. A disability insurance product / benefit provide supplementary income in the event of an illness or accident resulting in a disability that prevents the insured from working at their regular employment.
The definition of international group disability insurance will vary depending on your employer’s plan. Some policies consider you disabled when you’re unable to perform your job duties, while others pay only if you’re unable to perform in any job suitable for you based on your training, education and experience. Other policies require that you not be gainfully employed while you’re collecting benefits or that you are unable to earn a certain percentage of your pre-disability income because of injury or sickness.
Long term disability insurance through your employer can provide a steady stream of income to help cover essential expenses during an extended illness or after a disabling accident. International group disability insurance covers essential living expenses such as to help pay for food, clothing, utilities, your mortgage, car payments and more. One can receive direct monthly payments: receive a portion of your salary paid directly to you each month if you’re unable to work. Rehab incentives: coverage may include financial incentives designed to help you transition back to work.
International Disability Insurance is one way to provide international benefits for your employees, even as small as 10 employees in a company. Good Neighbor Insurance provides short term disability insurance for an employer and as well as long term disability insurance.
Below are a few questions and answers from our underwriting team to provide you a better understanding of international disability cover. Please note – STD stands for Short Term Disability and LTD stands for Long Term Disability cover. Please view our international disability insurance option here at https://www.gninsurance.com/group/global-underwriters-international-disability/.
- How is it determined when the 26 week deferred period begins? Could it be when the board puts the employee on medical leave? Answer: First date that the employee misses work. However, if they are getting paid on medical leave, there is no coverage as they are not losing income. We also don’t cover pre-existing conditions on STD.
- We noticed that the proposal mentions that there is medical underwriting. What kinds of questions are asked? What kind of claims history are they looking for? Answer: If no prior coverage, then there is no claims history. Group application (attached) and member health statement (individual application). The member health statement is not necessary for the STD coverage and only required for the LTD when the insured persons sum insured exceeds the guarantee issue ($80K).
- Are there any other underwriting requirements that the client will have to do in order get this policy in place? Answer: Upon review of the member health statement, we may ask for more information, exam or lab work.
- Do you have a specific list of criteria for what determines if they are disabled or eligible for the disability benefit? Answer: The person is eligible for benefits if they are unable to work because of illness or accident. We do not have a list.
- If they have a medical condition that warrants them to return to the U.S. for treatment (I.e. bone marrow transplants) and they aren’t necessarily unable to work, but they are unable to return to their overseas work – would this policy cover them for the duration they are receiving medical coverage in the .US., as long as it’s past the deferral period? Answer: The policy covers if they are unable to work due to disability.
Good Neighbor Insurance provides international travel insurance, expatriate medical insurance, as well as employer group medical insurance and other international cover to those traveling and living outside their country of resident/country of citizenship. Call one of our professional licensed international insurance agents at 866-636-9100 or you may email us at email@example.com.
Have an amazing and safe travels!