Why we like it:
The IMG GMMI plan is one of our most popular, benefit-rich plans for international non-profits, charitable workers, long-term volunteers, missions and other faith-based staff, that are on a budget, up to age 75.
Easily renew annually for continuous coverage. Designed to be affordable for both Non-U.S. and U.S. citizens living abroad, as well as local nationals. We like that it offers rich benefits for a low price.
If you are NOT an overseas faith-based, or non-profit / charitable worker, we have a similar plan for expats and businesspeople here >>
Note: Your deductible is reduced by 50% for care received outside the U.S.
- Charitable travel: Non-profits, volunteers, or faith-based workers
- Those looking for rich benefits at a very affordable price
- Those who may need up to 6 months a year in the USA
- Those who require good insurance, but receive their medical care overseas
The GMMI plan features:
Unique to GMMI Global Medical Insurance:
- Special rates on global medical insurance for overseas travel, specifically missionaries, charitable travelers and expatriates, non-profit sector workers, aid workers, and social good entrepreneurs
- The plan is called “missionary insurance,” but any non-profit, charitable or social good organization can use it, as can volunteers and their families
- High lifetime limits of $1,000,000USD (Bronze) to $5,000,000 (Silver/Gold) to $8,000,000 per individual (on Platinum)
- “Deductible carry forward” – If you do not meet your deductible in a year, it will be counted towards the next year’s deductible
- 50% of your deductible waived if treated outside the USA up to $2500. No co-insurance
- 50% of your deductible waived in the USA up to $2500 if you use IMG’s medical concierge service to select a care provider
- Healthy Travel Preventative Coverage – Up to $250 for vaccinations and preventative prescriptions prior to departure
- Freedom to Choose – Select your own health care provider, no matter where you are in the world
- Medical evacuation coverage up to $50,000USD on Bronze and Silver, and up to the maximum policy limit on Gold and Platinum
- Global medical health coverage – You can choose between “worldwide” or “worldwide excluding”
- Repatriation of remains (Return of mortal remains)
- Bedside visit (Emergency reunion)
- Preventative Care – No waiting period on wellness benefits.
- And many other medical and non-medical benefits (see brochure)
- Choose to pay monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annually
Log on to the secure, 24-hour online portal, MyIMGSM, to submit and view your claims, manage your account, search for providers, live chat with representatives and more
- Pre-existing Medical Coverage:
Silver/Gold – Available after 24 months of continuous coverage, but wait period may be waived (see below).
- Maternity coverage only on Platinum Plan:
Family Matters Maternity Program (available after 10 months of coverage) covers delivery, wellness, newborn care & congenital disorders
$50,000 lifetime maximum. $200 newborn preventative care benefit for the first 31 days – 12 months after birth
$250,000 maximum for newborn care & congenital disorders for the first 31 days after birth
$2,500 additional deductible per pregnancy
Four Levels to choose from:
You can select between Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, plus options for International Term-Life insurance coverage, as well as a Terrorism (Available on Platinum) and Adventure Sports rider (Available on the Gold and Platinum plans).
Click to view plan features
More about this plan
Why choose this IMG GMMI Plan?
The GMMI global medical insurance plan is one of the most affordable international health plans we offer. It was created as international missionary insurance with a very low cost, but international volunteers, social business entrepreneurs, and those working with non-profits, in NGO jobs, and looking for non-profit job openings overseas are all allowed to apply for, and use this plan. It is great for families and individuals up to age 75.
As shown above, this medical insurance for overseas travel plan has four options:
We have an economy plan, a mid-range plan, a “best option,” and a “Cadillac plan.” The premium on the higher benefit plans will be slightly more. You can have peace of mind and select the exact benefits you need and that fit your budget. Our most popular plans are the Gold and Platinum. All of these plans provide coverage for new medical expenses, medical evacuations, return of mortal remains, and much, much more (see brochure).
Here are some of the main things we suggest considering when you need to decide what international health insurance to acquire:
There are two forms of coverage for these plans, Worldwide or Worldwide Excluding.
- The “Worldwide” will allow coverage in every country (although “Worldwide including in-the-U.S.A. coverage” is only good for up to six months per policy year).
- The “Worldwide Excluding” excludes coverage in the U.S., Canada, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Singapore, and Taiwan, and is priced accordingly.
Especially for U.S. citizens, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Medical expenses in the U.S. are very high. If you might receive medical care in the U.S., you would want to be sure that your plan has adequate benefits to meet those potential expenses. If there is a catastrophic illness (or injury) and someone returns to the U.S. for care, having adequate U.S. coverage is essential. If you are a non-U.S. citizen and not in Southeast Asia, you may want to consider “Worldwide Excluding” in order to save money.
Medical evacuation insurance:
International medical evacuation is essential for those living overseas especially if in a more remote area, or live in an area with poor health facilities. Depending on the situation, a medical evacuation may cost from $25,000 – $250,000. Even if you have a great hospital in the city you are living in, they may not be able to take care of every medical condition. If that is the case, they would most likely request a medical evacuation out of country, or to another city. The Bronze and Silver plans have the lowest limit of the four plans for medical evacuation; that limit is $50,000. If considering Bronze or Silver, please consider if this amount will be adequate for your needs.
There is also a Dental and Vision rider for the Bronze, Silver, and Gold plans. A Sports rider is available for the Platinum plan.
Maternity is available only on the Platinum plan.
If you have potential plans to get pregnant or adopt a child, it is important to think about maternity benefits on your international medical insurance plan. Maternity insurance benefits are only available on the Platinum plan – Family Matters Maternity Program. There is a 10 month waiting period for maternity benefits to be available, and an additional $2500 deductible. (Waiting period for conception is 24 months if a woman applies for Platinum by herself.) Outside of the Platinum plan, there is no coverage whatsoever for pregnancy or complications of pregnancy on Bronze, Silver or Gold plans.
If you have maternity coverage, you can add your newborn (or adopted child) within 30 days of birth (or adoption) for automatic acceptance (no underwriting). If you don’t have Platinum, then your newborn or adopted child must have a completed application and go through underwriting. For adopted children, underwriting can be difficult because of lack of health history. This is why considering whether or not you might need the maternity benefit is important.
Pre-existing Medical Coverage
Bronze – Excluded
Silver/Gold – $50,000 lifetime maximum; $5,000 per period of coverage for unknown conditions. Available after 24 months of continuous coverage**. Will be covered same as any other illness as of the effective date if proof of creditable coverage is provided and accepted (see below).
Platinum – N/A
**If applicants can verify prior health insurance, with no significant break in coverage (63 days), IMG may accept this as “Creditable Coverage” and waive the 24 month waiting period (Final decision is subject to Underwriters approval). “Creditable Coverage” is defined as a group health plan provided by a U.S. employer or Health Insurance Issuer, individual major medical health insurance provided by a Health Insurance Issuer, or other Public Health Plan (any comprehensive health plan established or maintained by a State or the U.S. government).
Preventative Care – No waiting period on wellness benefits.
on Gold – $250 per period of coverage – not subject to deductible or coinsurance
on Platinum – $500 per period of coverage – not subject to deductible or coinsurance
On Silver – $70 maximum per visit, 3 visit limit per period. Not subject to deductible or coinsurance. Available after 12 months of continuous coverage
On Gold – $200 maximum per period of coverage – not subject to deductible or coinsurance
On Platinum – $400 maximum per period of coverage – not subject to deductible or coinsurance
International Term Life Insurance Rider:
(Most domestic life insurance will not pay out if you pass away while living overseas)
Age 31 days – 18 years: $5,000
Age 19 – 29 years: $75,000
Age 30 – 39 years: $50,000
Age 40 – 44 years: $35,000
Age 45 – 49 years: $25,000
Age 50 – 54 years: $20,000
Age 55 – 59 years: $15,000
Age 60 – 64 years: $10,000
Age 65 – 69 years: $7,500
The GMMI plan allows you to choose from several plan options, customize your length and area of coverage and select from multiple deductibles and forms of payment to help fit your needs and budget – Monthly, Quarterly, semi-annually, and annually. Each plan is renewable for continuous coverage.
IMG is committed to keeping international health insurance premiums affordable for those serving others worldwide. As part of that commitment, IMG offers a Medical Concierge program that saves you on out-of-pocket medical expenses.
They offer cash incentives and waive 50% of your deductible for choosing to receive treatment outside the U.S.
The GMMI program also provides different underwriting methods to extend medical coverage in case you were declined by other companies.
Four options to chose from. We recommend the Gold plan for:
- Those working in the charitable and non-profit sector outside the U.S.
- Social Good Entrepreneurs wanting strong overseas insurance coverage
- Temporary U.S. coverage while visiting family and friends in the U.S. (up to 6 months a year)
- Those wanting a great price without sacrificing quality care and benefits
- Need Help? Have questions? Give us a call toll-free at +1 (866) 636-9100 if you’d like help! Or use Skype.
It is very important for us that you feel that you have got your questions answered.
As an international service provider, we want to be sure that you are taken care of while you, your family, and your friends are traveling or residing around the world. It is our honor to serve you!