Why we like it:
WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND the IHC Secure for those who may have missed open enrollment for ACA health insurance. Or those only in the USA for a short time, as well as for those waiting for their health insurance to start or for their employer group coverage to begin. It is also excellent for those only needing insurance in the USA for 3-6 months before returning overseas.
It features coverage up to $2,000,000 maximum and has three options to fit every budget.
- U.S. citizens needing a short term health insurance policy
- Good for missionaries and those returning home for sabbatical or furlough
- Very affordable, with unlimited re-applies
- Available in most states
Short Term Health Insurance is Best for:
- Those who missed open enrollment
- New hires and my group insurance hasn’t started yet.
- People traveling in the USA but outside the coverage of my network
- Those waiting for my ACA policy to go into effect
- People in the U.S. for a short period of time
- College students or just graduating
- Those needing a COBRA alternative
- Your unemployed or laid off
This traditional short-term policy offers several options and a $2 million coverage-period maximum to provide benefits and protection for you and your family. Select Connect STM Extend for coverage up to 36 months.
Most short-term medical policies do not cover expenses for pre-existing medical conditions. But Connect Plus provides a $25,000 benefit for eligible pre-existing healthcare expenses.
Select from various benefit levels which best meet your insurance needs and budget.
Coverage can begin as early as the day following your online application. Policy forms and ID cards, as well as claims administration, are all available online.
A premium for a 50-year old male on STM would be about $175 a month
A child-only plan is available for children age 2 up to age 18.
SHORT TERM HEALTH INSURANCE INFORMATION
How long can I be covered under a short term health insurance policy?
Coverage can be selected for 30 to 364 days depending on the state. If coverage is needed longer than 364 days, up to 24 months may be added to the initial coverage duration through the Connect STM Extend or Connect Value Extend plans. But this is only available in select states.
Extended durations must be chosen at time of application. Connect Plus does not offer a coverage period extension. The maximum allowable duration varies by state.
- This plan is not considered to be Minimum Essential Coverage as defined by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Underwritten by Standard Security Life Insurance Company of New York, a member of The IHC Group. Standard Security Life was founded in 1958, and is domiciled in the State of New York and headquartered in New York City. It is licensed in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.
- Standard Security Life is rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company, Inc., a widely recognized rating agency that rates insurance companies on their relative financial strength and ability to meet policyholder obligations (an A++ rating from A.M. Best is its highest rating).
- Secure STM short-term medical insurance offers protection when circumstances leave you temporarily uninsured
If you elect to purchase an Extend plan:
All benefits, except physician office visits applied to the copay, are subject to the selected plan deductible and coinsurance percentage unless otherwise noted. Covered expenses are limited by the usual, reasonable and customary charge as well as any benefit-specific maximum listed in the schedule of benefits. If a benefit-specific maximum does not apply to the covered expense, benefits are limited by the coverage-period maximum.
Benefits may vary based on your state of residence.
Covered expenses include treatment, services and supplies for:
- Prescription drugs administered while hospital confined
- X-ray exams, laboratory tests and analysis
- Anesthesiologist services, not to exceed 20 percent of the primary surgeon’s covered charges
- Assistant surgeon services, not to exceed 20 percent of the primary surgeon’s covered charges
- Surgeon’s assistant services, not to exceed 15 percent of the primary surgeon’s covered charges
- Organ, tissue or bone marrow transplants, not to exceed $150,000 per coverage period*
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), not to exceed $10,000 per coverage period*
- Blood or blood plasma and their administration
- Oxygen, casts, non-dental splints, crutches, non-orthodontic braces, radiation and chemotherapy services and equipment rental
- Mammography, pap smear and prostate specific antigen test, covered at specific age intervals and when recommended by a physician, NOT subject to the plan deductible
Pre-existing condition coverage, limitation and definition
A pre-existing condition is any medical condition or sickness for which medical advice, care, diagnosis, treatment, consultation or medication was recommended or received from a doctor within five years immediately preceding the covered person’s effective date of coverage. Or symptoms within the five years immediately prior to the coverage that would cause a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment.
The period of time preceding the effective date of coverage may vary by state.
Connect STM and Value:
A pre-existing condition is defined as any medical condition or sickness for which medical advice, care, diagnosis, treatment, consultation or medication was recommended or received from a doctor within five years immediately preceding the covered persons’ effective date of coverage. Or symptoms within the five years immediately prior to the coverage that would cause a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment.**
Consultation means evaluation, diagnosis, or medical advice was given with or without a personal examination or visit.
**Six months in GA, ID, NH, NV, OH, and WY; 12 months in IN, LA, ME, MI, MD, NC, SD, WI, and WV; 24 months in FL, IL, UT; and 36 months in MT.
Here at Good Neighbor Insurance it is very important for us to connect with you.
As an international service provider, we want to be sure that you are taken care of while you, your family, and your friends are traveling or residing around the world. It is our honor to serve you!