PLEASE NOTE: Baggage claims will not be considered unless proof of ownership and evidence of value is provided.
To make a claim you will be required to provide receipts for original purchase. If you do not have original receipts, or the item was purchased some time ago, you may not be able to prove ownership/make a claim.
Lost Baggage Benefit (included)
Up to $1,000 maximum per policy period for the replacement costs of Necessities, up to $75 per article, if your luggage is checked onto a Common Carrier, and is then lost, stolen or damaged beyond use. Replacement costs are calculated on the basis of the depreciated standard and its average usable period. You must file a formal claim with the transportation provider and provide Us with copies of all claim forms and proof that the transportation provider has paid you its normal reimbursement for the lost, stolen or damaged luggage.
Baggage Loss and/or Theft
Reimbursement in respect of accidental loss or theft of or damage to luggage, clothing and personal effects owned by (not hired, loaned or entrusted to) the Insured Person, subject to a maximum payment of: 1)$500 in respect of any one article, pair or set of articles; 2) $300 overall in respect of valuables/electronics (see definition below). The Insured Person must observe ordinary and proper care in the supervision of the insured property and in all cases of loss. Claims will be dealt with on an “indemnity basis” only – NOT “new for old”. This means the market value of the article less a deduction for age, wear, tear and depreciation, or the cost of repair whichever is the lesser. If an article is damaged beyond repair a claim will be dealt with as if the article had been lost. Payment is in excess of all other coverages, refunds and/or reimbursements.
Trawick will not pay benefits for any Baggage Loss and/or Theft that is caused by, or results from:
- Any loss or theft, or suspected theft not reported to the Police within 24 hours of discovery and a written report obtained;
- Any damage or loss or theft of property in transit, which has not been reported to the Common Carrier and written report obtained. In the case of an airline, a Passenger Irregularity Report will be required;
- Loss or theft of any property left unattended in a public place;
- Any theft from an unattended motor vehicle unless the property is in a locked/covered luggage area, and there is evidence of forced entry which has been verified by a Police Report;
- Any loss from motor vehicles left unattended at any time between the hours of 10:00pm and 08:00am;
- Loss, damage or theft of valuables and money packed in suitcases or other receptacles whilst travelling;
- Loss or damage caused by decay, wear and tear, moth, vermin, atmospheric or climatic change;
- deterioration or mechanical derangement of any kind;
- damage to suitcases (unless rendered unusable);
- Loss due to confiscation or detention by Customs or other authority;
- Damage to sports equipment whilst in use or losses of jewelry whilst swimming (other than wedding rings);
- Breakage of or damage to fragile articles and any consequence thereof.
Property not covered by this Insurance:
- Unset precious stones, contact or corneal lenses, spectacles or accessories;
- Stamps, documents, deeds, manuscripts or securities of any kind;
- Items of a perishable nature;
- Business goods, samples, tools of trade or motor accessories;
- Property more specifically insured elsewhere;
- Household goods and home contents;
- Cash, travelers checks or money orders.
In the event of a claim in respect of a pair or set of articles the Insurer shall only be liable in respect of the value of that part of the pair or set which is lost, stolen or damaged;
- Claims will not be considered unless proof of ownership and evidence of value is provided.
- Any amount paid for temporary loss of baggage will be deducted from the final claim settlement if baggage proves to be permanently lost.
- Proof of a missing bag report must be filed with the Common Carrier.
- Any amount paid by a Common Carrier in settlement toward the loss will be deducted from the final claim.