- Exceeds all J1-visa requirements and for both international students and scholars coming to the USA to study
- Includes students/scholars
- Your choice of Select, Budget and Smart – Select and Budget allow for spouse and dependents on policy
- Maternity care is covered
- Provides $300,000 250,000 or $200,000 of coverage per injury/illness
- Pre-existing conditions with a 180-day waiting period
- Ambulance, mental health, emergency dental, emergency medical evacuation, AD&D, repatriation of remains, and more…
- Covers Intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, and club sports (Select and Basic)
- HCC has a financial strength rating of AA (Very Strong) by Standard & Poor’s and Fitch Ratings and A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company
HCCMIS takes the guesswork out of insurance for individuals in study abroad programs with StudentSecure, a plan designed specifically to meet the needs of international students and professors / scholars. HCCMIS’s StudentSecure is the program that travels with you and meets or exceeds all U.S. government requirements. Whether you are looking for individual coverage, StudentSecure® has all the features you need. The three levels of coverage, Select, Budget and Smart, ensure that you can find the appropriate plan to fit your needs and budget.
To enroll in this plan, you must be a full-time student at a college or university, excluding online colleges and universities, or within 31 days of being a full-time student at a college or university; or must be a full-time scholar affiliated with an educational institution and performing work or research for at least 30 hours per week; or must be a full-time high school student enrolled in a school outside the United States. Must be residing outside the USA for the purpose of pursuing international educational activities, and must not have obtained residency status in the Host Country.
We like that the carrier for this international student health plan, HCC Medical Insurance Services (HCCMIS), is based in the United States in Indianapolis, Indiana, and has a great financial strength rating: AA (Very Strong) by Standard & Poor’s, and Fitch Ratings, and A and A- by A.M. Best Company. They have been around along time and are well-known. This plan covers pre-existing medical conditions after 180 days of continuous coverage, (both StudentSecure Select and Budget plans provide benefits).
The HCC Student Secure plan also includes maternity coverage when conception occurs after the effective date of coverage, (StudentSecure Select and Budget provides maternity benefits including, but not limited to, pre-natal, delivery, and post-natal care as well as expenses for miscarriage and complications of pregnancy. Routine nursery care of newborns is also covered, subject to the maximum shown in the schedule of benefits and limits. StudentSecure Smart does not provide maternity or newborn care coverage.)
HCC Student Secure also has medical protection when participating in intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, or club sports are covered by the StudentSecure plan up to a maximum of $5,000 per Injury or Illness (StudentSecure Select) and up to $3,000 per injury or illness (on StudentSecure Budget). StudentSecure Smart does not provide coverage for organized sports activities. Students considering playing organized sports are encourage to select either Student Secure Select or Budget.
Deductible (out-of-pocket expense per visit/incident)
- Deductible of $25 for Select within PPO per illness/injury, or using the Student Health Center at your campus or outside the USA (Otherwise, $50 per incident)
- Deductible of $45 for Budget within PPO per illness/injury, or using the Student Health Center at your campus or outside the USA (Otherwise, $90 per incident)
- Deductible of $50 for Smart within PPO per illness/injury, or using the Student Health Center at your campus or outside the USA (Otherwise, $100 per incident)
Coinsurance (The amount you pay per year besides premiums and deductible)
- Outside the USA: After the Deductible, Underwriters will pay 100% of Eligible Expenses to Certificate Period Maximum
- Local ambulance – Up to $750 (Select) up to $500 (Budget), up to $300 (Smart) per incident if hospitalized as inpatient
- Intensive Care Unit – Usual, reasonable and customary
- Outpatient treatment – Usual, reasonable and customary
- Outpatient prescription drugs 50% of actual charge
- Emergency Medical Evacuation is covered, Repatriation of Remains is covered, (as is AD&D on Select plan)
- Dental emergency and Dental Treatment to alleviate pain (on Select)
- Mental health/Counseling, incl. alcoholism drug abuse
- Pre-existing conditions
- Select: 180-day waiting period
- Basic: 180-day waiting period
- Smart: $25,000 lifetime maximum for eligible medical expenses for the acute onset of pre-existing condition only
See brochure for complete list of benefits
If you cannot use the BUY ONLINE button above due to a poor or unreliable internet connection, needing to pay by check, or you are from a country that does not allow online form submission due to fraud, use this link to download a paper application (sometimes included as part of their brochure).