Why we like it:
WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND the HCC StudentSecure International Health Insurance for Students Studying Abroad for U.S. students studying in another country, for research grants, for professors, and graduate students traveling overseas.
You can also cover premiums month-to-month if you like, and there are four levels of benefits to choose from, based on your destination and needs.
Note: StudentSecure is not available to individuals who are physically located in the states of New York, Maryland, or Washington or in the country of Canada or Australia at time of purchase.
- Has four levels to fit your exact budget and needs
- Excellent U.S. student health insurance abroad
- Very affordable coverage for study outside the USA
- Includes intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, and club sports
- Exceeds all J1-visa requirements and for both U.S students going overseas to study as well as scholars and graduate students doing research abroad and needing quality health care coverage.
- For students and scholars/professors
- Choice of Elite, Select, Budget or Smart – Based on budget and needs
- Maternity care is covered
- Provides $5,000,000, $600,000, $500,000, or $200,000 maximum medical benefits
- Provides $500,000, $300,000 250,000 or $100,000 of coverage per injury/illness
- Pre-existing conditions after a waiting period of 180-days
- Ambulance, mental health, emergency dental, emergency medical evacuation, and much more…
- Covers Intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, and club sports (Select and Basic)
- HCC has a financial strength rating of AA (Very Strong) by Standard & Poor’s and Fitch Ratings and A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company
HCCMIS takes the guesswork out of insurance for individuals in study abroad programs with StudentSecure. It is a plan designed specifically to meet the needs of international students and professors / scholars. HCCMIS’s StudentSecure International Health Insurance for Students Studying Abroad is the program that travels with you. It meets or exceeds all U.S. government and international requirements. Whether you are looking for individual coverage, StudentSecure® has all the features you need. The four levels of coverage, Elite, Select, Budget and Smart, ensure that you can find the appropriate plan to fit your needs and budget.
To enroll in this plan, you must be a full-time student at a college or university, excluding online colleges and universities. Or you must be within 31 days of being a full-time student at a college or university, or a full-time scholar affiliated with an educational institution and performing work or research for at least 30 hours per week. Or you must be a full-time high school student enrolled in a school outside the United States. Must be residing outside the USA for the purpose of pursuing international educational activities. You must not have obtained residency status in the Host Country.
This plan covers pre-existing medical conditions after 180 days of continuous coverage (On both StudentSecure Elite and Select and on Budget plans after 1 year of continuous coverage).
The HCC Student Secure plan has the following overall maximum medical amounts:
Elite – $5,000,000
Select – $600,000
Budget – $500,000
Smart – $200,000
Maximum per Injury / Illness:
Elite – $500,000
Select – $300,000
Budget – $250,000
Smart – $100,000
The HCC Student Secure plan also includes maternity coverage when conception occurs after the effective date of coverage:
StudentSecure Elite, Select and Budget provides maternity benefits, including, but not limited to, pre-natal, delivery, and post-natal care. Also expenses for miscarriage and complications of pregnancy. Routine nursery care of newborns is also covered, subject to the maximum shown in the schedule of benefits and limits.
Elite – Up to $25,000
Select – Up to $10,000
Budget – Up to $5,000
Smart – StudentSecure Smart does not provide maternity or newborn care coverage.
Elite, Select, Budget – Up to $50,000 lifetime maximum, eligible medical expenses only.
Smart – No Coverage
HCC Student Secure also has medical protection when participating in intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, or club sports. Covered by the StudentSecure plan up to a maximum of:
Elite – $5,000 per Injury or Illness
Select – $5,000 per Injury or Illness
Budget – Up to $3,000 per injury or illness
Smart – StudentSecure Smart does not provide coverage for organized sports activities.
Students considering playing organized sports are encourage to select either Elite, Student Secure Select or Budget.
To be eligible for StudentSecure:
You must be under age 65; and
- A full-time student at a college or university, excluding online colleges and universities. Or
- Within 31 days of being a full-time student at a college or university. Or
- A student under age 19 enrolled in a secondary school. Or
- A full-time scholar affiliated with an educational institution and performing work or research for at least 30 hours per week. And
- You must be residing outside your home country for the purpose of pursuing international educational activities. And
- You must not have obtained residency status in your host country. And
- If in the U.S., you must hold a valid education-related visa. A copy of the I-20 or DS2019 may be requested.
J-1 and F-1 visa holders:
The full-time student/scholar status requirement is waived within the U.S. if you have a valid F-1 visa (including OPT) or a J-1 visa. Full-time status requirements remain in force for individuals holding M-1, or other category visas. StudentSecure is not available to individuals who are physically located in the states of New York, Maryland, or Washington or in the country of Canada or Australia at time of purchase.
means a student at a college or university who is taking 10 credit hours (undergraduate students) or 6 credit hours (graduate students). Full-time student status for individuals enrolled at colleges or universities that do not use a credit hour system must provide documentation of full-time student status.
means an individual who is affiliated with an educational institution and is engaging in educational activities for at least 30 hours per week. These activities may include but may not be limited to performing research in an area of specialty or teaching for a temporary period of time.
“Home Country” means:
For U.S. Citizens, the United States of America, regardless of the location of your principal residence.
For non-U.S. Citizens, home country is the country where you principally reside and receive regular mail.
Deductible (Out-of-pocket expense per visit/incident – The amount you are required to pay before insurance pays)
- Elite: If treatment received outside of U.S., $25 per illness or injury
- Select: If treatment received outside of U.S., $35 per illness or injury
- Budget: If treatment received outside of U.S., $45 per illness or injury
- Smart: If treatment received outside of U.S., $50 per illness or injury
Coinsurance (The amount you pay per year besides premiums and deductible)
- For Claims Incurred Outside the U.S.
– All plans: HCC will pay 100% of eligible expenses after the deductible up to the overall maximum limit.
- Coinsurance for Claims Incurred in the USA:
– Within the PPO:
Elite – Will pay 100% of eligible expenses after the deductible to the overall maximum limit.
Select – Within the PPO: We will pay 80% of the next $5,000 of eligible expenses after the deductible, then 100% to the overall maximum limit.
Budget – Within the PPO: We will pay 80% of the next $25,000 of eligible expenses after the deductible, then 100% to the overall maximum limit.
Smart – Within the PPO: We will pay 80% of eligible expenses
- Local ambulance – Up to $750 (Elite & Select), up to $500 (Budget), up to $300 (Smart) per incident if hospitalized as inpatient
- Intensive Care Unit – Usual, reasonable and customary
- Outpatient treatment – Usual, reasonable and customary
- Emergency Medical Evacuation is covered, Repatriation of Remains is covered, (as is AD&D on Select plan)
- Dental emergency and Dental Treatment to alleviate pain (on Select)
- Mental health/Counseling, incl. alcoholism drug abuse
Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
Except for charges resulting directly from an Acute Onset of Pre-existing Condition, an Emergency Medical Evacuation, or Repatriation of Remains, pre-existing conditions are excluded from this insurance as indicated below:
1. Elite and Select: For the first six (6) months of coverage; or
2. Budget: For the first twelve (12) months of coverage; or
3. Smart: Pre-existing conditions are excluded
ACUTE ONSET OF PRE-EXISTING CONDITION ARE COVERED IF:
1. Charges for a sudden and unexpected outbreak or recurrence of a pre-existing condition(s) which: a. Occurs spontaneously and without advance warning either in the form of physician recommendations or symptoms; and b. Is of short duration; and c. Is rapidly progressive; and d. Requires urgent care.YOU ARE NOT COVERED unless you fulfill the following condition: 1. Treatment must be obtained within 24 hours of the sudden and unexpected outbreak or recurrence.
YOU ARE NOT COVERED IF: 1. The Acute Onset of a Pre-existing Condition(s) occurs before the certificate effective date; or 2. The pre-existing condition is a chronic or congenital condition or that gradually becomes worse over time; or 3. The charges are for known, scheduled, required, or expected medical care, drugs or treatments existent or necessary prior to the certificate effective date; or 4. Expenses arise directly or indirectly from anything in the General Exclusions.
- Prescription drugs
Elite: Generic Drugs – 100% coinsurance; Brand Name Drugs – 50% coinsurance; Specialty Drugs – No coverage
Select, Budget & Smart: 50% of actual charges – not subject to deductible or coinsurance
Optional Additional Accidental Death & Dismemberment Rider
– Not subject to deductible, coinsurance, or overall maximum limit
Elite Lifetime Maximum – $25,000
Death – $25,000
Loss of 2 Limbs – $25,000
Loss of 1 Limb – $12,500
Select Lifetime Maximum – $25,000
Death – $25,000
Loss of 2 Limbs – $25,000
Loss of 1 Limb – $12,500
Budget and Smart – No Coverage
Personal Liability – Not subject to deductible, coinsurance, or overall maximum limit
Elite – Up to $250,000 lifetime maximum
$250,000 third person injury
$250,000 third person property
$2,500 related third person property
Select, Budget, Smart – No Coverage
Optional Crisis Response Rider – Ransom, Personal Belongings, and Crisis Response Fees and Expenses – Not subject to deductible, coinsurance, or overall maximum limit
Elite – Up to $100,000
Select – Up to $100,000
Budget and Smart – No Coverage
Here at Good Neighbor Insurance it is very important for us to connect with you.
As an international service provider, we want to be sure that you are taken care of while you, your family, and your friends are traveling or residing around the world. It is our honor to serve you!