Having babies is expensive regardless of where you live. If you’re planning on having a baby while overseas, you need international health insurance – maternity. Why? Because, unfortunately, a regular overseas health insurance plan won’t cover this exciting event.
Not sure which international health insurance – maternity plan to select? Good Neighbor Insurance will find you the best maternity coverage for your circumstances from a variety of excellent choices.
Our recommended plan
GeoBlue Navigator Insurance For Volunteers, Social Good, NGO & Missionaries
Excellent U.S. expat and volunteer travel insurance
- Discounted insurance for expats and volunteers up to age 74
- A full-featured plan from a well-known carrier
- Those needing up to 9 months per year back in the USA
- Part of the Blue Cross Blue Shield network
Our recommended plan
Cigna Global Individual Overseas Medical Insurance Plans
A “build it yourself” benefits plan from Cigna
- Excellent overseas travel medical insurance from Cigna Global
- No age limits and guaranteed renewability
- Worldwide network of over 1 million hospitals and physicians
- You can build a unique plan by selecting just what you want
Scroll down to see all international health plans below
More International Health Insurance – Maternity Plans
Azimuth Meridian International Career Medical Plans
A great plan for those on a tight budget
GeoBlue Xplorer Overseas Travel Insurance with maternity coverage
Excellent travel insurance with maternity coverage
The GMMI Career Missionary Medical Insurance Plan
Affordable missionary insurance with excellent benefits!
Frequently Asked Questions
We provide answers to your frequently asked questions below:
What if I am already pregnant?
- If you’re already pregnant, you will not be able to get international medical coverage for your pregnancy.
- If you’re pregnant and covered by insurance in your home country, and not planning to deliver while traveling, we have travel plans that cover emergencies related to pregnancy.
What are the best plans, can you compare them for me?
- The short answer is that the GeoBlue plans are the best, especially if you are from the USA and expect to deliver in the U.S.
- The best plan for non-U.S. citizens may be Cigna’s Gold or Platinum plans (silver does not include maternity benefits).
- The other maternity plans are also good. Just remember, higher premiums usually equals better coverage.
- Here is the link to our comparison chart
We are considering not getting maternity coverage. Will I still be able to get insurance for my child?
- Navigator and Xplorer: If enrolled within 31 days of birth, babies are automatically accepted regardless of maternity coverage or not.
- GMMI Platinum: (Maternity is included) The baby is automatically accepted if they are enrolled within 31 days from birth. All other GMI/GMMI plans will require an application which will undergo full medical underwriting.
- Meridian Essential and Enhanced: Medical application must be completed for all dependents to be added. If the application is not received within 30 days of birth, the child will have a separate policy from the family.
We are considering adopting children eventually. Will my child be accepted on my insurance plan?
- GeoBlue Navigator and Xplorer: If added to your coverage within 31 days of adoption, all children are automatically accepted.
- GMMI Plans: An application for the new child must be completed, and they will go through underwriting. A child could be declined or medical conditions could be excluded.
- Meridian Essential and Enhanced: An application for the new child must be completed and they will go through underwriting. A child could be declined or medical conditions could be excluded.
Which plan is best for adopting a special needs child?
- If you think you may adopt a special needs child, we recommend one of the GeoBlue plans. Your GeoBlue plan must be in place before the adoption process begins or your application will be declined.
Can I add maternity insurance benefits later?
- Most of these options have restrictions on switching plans or increasing benefits for maternity care at a later date. You will need to reapply if you want to do this and new waiting periods will be in effect. GeoBlue will allow you to add the maternity benefits at each renewal.
Good Neighbor Insurance will continue to add to this maternity FAQ / Answers page so do bookmark this page for future readings. If we have not answered your questions here, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our trained agents will be glad to get answers to your international maternity insurance questions for you.
Here at Good Neighbor Insurance it is very important for us to connect with you.
As an international service provider, we want to be sure that you are taken care of while you, your family, and your friends are traveling or residing around the world. It is our honor to serve you!