Why we like it:
We like Petersen Kidnap and Ransom Insurance because they cover a multitude of different groups and needs. From financial to business executives to missionaries and missions organizations and relief agency staff working in difficult, high-risk areas. We like that they cover income replacement and a number of valuable benefits in addition to just ransom replacement and crisis response teams/hostage negotiation.
The amount of ransom you can apply for is based on your assets and income.
Premium is based on Length of trip and Location of trip.
Minimum policy is $500.
Request a free quote.
- Provides high-limit coverage with everything related to kidnap, extortion, and hijacking
- 24-hour response team throughout the world
- Host of valuable benefits in addition to ransom and hostage negotiation
- Tailored kidnap and ransom insurance and tailored locations
Petersen K&R individual or family insurance is designed for:
For those who have a U.S. address traveling outside the U.S.
Reimbursement policy only
Amount of ransom you can apply for is based on your assets and income
Minimum premium is USD500 and is based on
- Length of trip
- Location of trip
In addition to Kidnap, Detention, Extortion and hijacking, there are a number of other benefits
Includes coverage in war and terrorist areas
Petersen Kidnap And Ransom Individual And Organization-wide Coverage – The Good:
Petersen Kidnap and Ransom Individual and Organizartion-wide Coverage – Drawbacks:
Key Benefits of the Petersen Kidnap and Ransom Plan
Petersen Kidnap and Ransom Insurance provides additional benefits you will want to consider:
- Ransom Reimbursement: Underwriters will reimburse the ransom paid for a covered event.
- Personal Accident: Lump sum benefit for loss of limb(s), loss of sight, loss of extremity, permanent total disablement or death of the insured, solely and directly as a result of a covered event.
- Loss of Ransom During Delivery: The loss in transit of a ransom by confiscation, destruction, disappearance, seizure or theft while it is being conveyed, to those who have demanded it, by a person authorized to do so by the policy owner.
- Private Negotiator: Expenses for an independent negotiator engaged by the policy owner with the prior authorization of underwriters.
- Public Relations: Expenses of an independent public relations consultant and/or interpreter.
Travel Expenses: Costs of travel and accommodation incurred as recommended by the Crisis Response Team.
- Psychiatric Expenses: Expenses for independent psychiatric, medical, and legal advice incurred prior to and within twelve consecutive calendar months of the release of the insured.
- Reward Payments: Reward paid by the policy owner to an informant for information which contributes to the resolution of the covered event.
- Financial Losses: Personal financial loss suffered by an insured person solely as a direct result of the physical inability to attend to personal financial matters while a victim of a Kidnap, Extortion, Detention or Hĳack.
- Loss of Income: 100% of a Kidnapped, detained or hĳacked insured persons gross salary including bonuses, commissions, cost of living adjustments, pension and/or welfare contributions and allowances, which were contractually due at the time the covered event occurs and for 60 consecutive days following the release. Detention benefits will be limited to a period of 36 consecutive calendar months.
Employee Income Protector: The costs incurred by the policy owner for the salaries of employees specifically designated to assist in negotiating on a covered event. These are not to exceed the employee’s 100% of salary including bonuses and allowances. It also covers all other reasonable expenses solely and directly incurred in connection with such negotiations, provided that an itemized account of such employee’s time, services and expenses is provided.
- Asset Protection: Benefits to cover interest on loans raised specifically to meet a Ransom and in respect of amounts reimbursed, provided that the loan is repaid within seven days of the policy owner receiving reimbursement of the same from the policy.
- Security Coverage: Expenses for security guards hired solely and directly for the purpose of protecting a insured person located in the country where a covered event has occurred and on the specific recommendation of the Crisis Response Team.
- Specialized Equipment: Costs of communication equipment, recording equipment and advertising incurred solely as a result of a covered event.
Rehabilitation Benefit: Rest and rehabilitation expenses that occur within six consecutive calendar months following the release of a Kidnap, Detention, and/or Hĳack victim and are incurred by the victim, the victim’s spouse and/or children.
- Funeral Expenses: Cost of repatriation of the body of the Kidnap, Detention, and/or Hĳack victim in the event of death during a covered event. Costs of burial/cremation of the Kidnap and/or Detention and/or Hĳack victim incurred in the event of death during a covered event.
- Child Care: Expenses of child care incurred directly as a result of a Kidnap, Detention, and/or Hĳack.
Can be used by:
Development, Aid and Relief Organizations
Download the .pdf application, fill it out and send back to [email protected]
Your Good Neighbor Insurance team
- If an organization is applying, provide up to 3 possible group K&R quotes
- If an individual or family is applying, email you your individual/family K&R quote(s) to consider or approve
Covered Events Of Kidnap & Ransom Coverage
- Kidnap: The taking of one or more of the insured persons captive by persons who then demand a ransom, specifically from the policy owners assets, as a condition of the release of the insured.
- Extortion: Threatening the insured with injury, death, abduction, or causing physical damage to or Loss of property.
- Detention: The holding under duress of an insured for whatever reason, other than Kidnap, such as political detention.
- Hijack: The illegal holding under duress for a period in excess of six consecutive hours of an insured while traveling on any aircraft, motor vehicle or waterborne vessel.
Some Security Risks and Definitions To Keep In Mind:
Example of an actual kidnap and ransom case:
- The International Engineering Firm. The company won a bid for a design and building project in Iraq. This was great news for the firm, but not such great news for the HR and Risk Management Departments.
- They had to scramble to find replacement Group Life, LTD, AD&D, Medical, and Kidnap & Ransom Insurance coverage for the employees being deployed, and of course the concern of war and terrorism was very important.
How coverage works
Kidnap and Ransom Insurance has been developed to reimburse the policy owner for the expenses incurred with a Kidnapping.
A policy owner will apply for coverage to protect themselves against a loss caused by a Kidnapping or an Extortion.
The policy owner may apply for benefits up to their personal or corporate net worth.
If a claim occurs the policy owner will need to front the money to the Kidnappers and then submit a claim to be reimbursed for the expenses.
One of the most beneficial parts of the plan is the unlimited expenses for the Crisis Response Team.
The Crisis Response Team has worldwide knowledge about how negotiations should be handled in each specific location. They will provide advice based on their negotiating experience, such as:
• Should the police be contacted/are the police trustworthy.
• How to make the Kidnapper provide Proof of Life.
• Where to set up a meeting.
• How to strategically talk with the Kidnappers.
• How to deliver the ransom.
Why Petersen (PIU)
Petersen International Underwriters has been underwriting Kidnap and Ransom policies for the past 25 years. In house binding authority allows us to place last minute coverage for individuals or corporations that need coverage immediately.
Petersen International Underwriters has years of claims experience and is certified in Homeland Security Preparation and Response Team Level III.
Here at Good Neighbor Insurance it is very important for us to connect with you.
As an international service provider, we want to be sure that you are taken care of while you, your family, and your friends are traveling or residing around the world. It is our honor to serve you!