Our Good Neighbor Insurance (GNI) team members have created these videos to share valuable information to help you during your travel medical insurance investment as well as when you are on your travels.
We provide travel medical insurance investments for those going on vacations and holidays, business trips, social good trips, mission trips, specialized trips that include adventure sports, cruises, and many other types of travels.
Good Neighbor Insurance also provides specialized travel medical insurance for athletic sports as well as adventure sports, hazardous activity, home country coverage, war risk areas, personal liability coverage, and other specialized insurance coverage needs for your travels.
All of our different travel medical insurance plans have the essential travel insurance benefit of emergency medical evacuation cover.
Travel Medical Insurance Frequently Asked Questions and Answers – Part 1 of 2
Jackie called us at Good Neighbor Insurance and had great questions on travel medical insurance – https://www.gninsurance.com/travel. I am headed out this summer with my family for three weeks to Turkey, Greece, and then we will spend a couple days in Paris before heading back home to Portland, Oregon.
I have a few questions about travel medical insurance, Jackie said. Can you help? We sure can, Kristi said. Kristi is one of the GNI team members who has lived overseas as a third culture kid in Papua New Guinea (PNG).
My first question is – If I get sick or injured, which medical doctor or hospital do I go to? Here is your answer, Jackie. Travel medical insurance will cover medical treatment from any (western) licensed medical doctor or hospital around the world outside of your home country.
Question – Will the doctor or hospital bill my travel medical insurance company, Kristi?
Answer – Most medical care will need to be paid by the patient, the policy holder, at the time of service, Jacki. Then a claim may be filed to the travel medical insurance company for reimbursement.
Please note, Jackie –
- Make sure to get an itemized receipt at the time of service
- Get a copy of any medical records if possible.
Question – Kristi, what if the charges for emergency medical care get too high?
Answer – Great question, Jackie. Yes,
- please call the emergency number for the insurance company that is on the ID card.
- The insurance company may be able to set up a direct billing with the medical provider.
- Unless it is an emergency, call the travel insurance company as soon as you are told that you may need surgery for a new injury or illness. The insurance company can help coordinate a direct billing with the hospital. A pre-existing condition may have limited or no coverage, so it’s best to call the travel insurance company right away to pre-certify your coverage.
Question – Kristi, we are traveling to more than one country – will we still be covered in more than one country?
Answer – Most travel medical plans will cover all countries outside of the insured’s country of citizenship and/or residency. Let’s find the best travel medical insurance for your trip to Greece, Turkey, and France, Jackie.
Question – The medical evacuation coverage is still the same no matter what medical dollar limit I choose?
Answer – Yes, that is correct, your emergency medical evacuation coverage is the same dollar limit no matter what deductible and medical limit you choose.
By the way, Jackie, there is no deductible on your emergency medical evacuation benefit, if used.
Thanks Kristi, Jackie said. Now I know which travel medical option I will choose for me and my family from your web site at Good Neighbor Insurance.
We wish Jackie and her family as well as you and your love ones an amazing, safe, and spectacular travels!
Travel Medical Insurance Frequently Asked Questions and Answers – Part 2 of 2
My wife and I are going to spend 5 weeks traveling through Indonesia and Australia this coming October. Our youngest child has graduated Uni and we as parents are splurging on a nice trip for my wife and me to celebrate the passage of our three kids from university to full employment. I do have some questions on our travel insurance options, Beth – https://www.gninsurance.com/travel. Can you help me navigate these questions and find the best travel medical policy that will fit our travel this Fall?
We sure can, Beth stated, one of Good Neighbor Insurance’s expert travel insurance agents. What is your first question, Shawn?
Beth, what do we do if my wife or I need to be medically evacuated?
Answer – First, and foremost, Shawn, you, your wife, or medical staff that is with you need to connect directly with your travel insurance company.
- Medical evacuations must always be coordinated by the travel medical insurance company.
- Please call the emergency number on your travel medical ID card.
- The travel medical insurance company will verify that your emergency medical evacuation is needed by talking to your medical staff with you.
- Once it is agreed upon to provide your emergency medical evacuation, the travel medical insurance handles that from start to finish at no out-of-pocket to you besides your travel insurance premium.
Beth, will emergency medical evacuation take me or my wife back to the U.S.?
Shawn, an emergency medical evacuation will always be to the nearest adequate medical facility. But once released from the hospital, the travel medical insurance company will take the insured back to either the place of the original evacuation, or back to the home country (some limitations apply depending on the travel medical insurance plan).
Here is another question, Beth. Will a travel advisory affect my travel medical insurance coverage?
Great question, Shawn. If a travel warning is in effect (Level 3 or 4 on a government warning list), coverage for war / terrorism injuries or political evacuation will not be covered.
What does “Sudden and Unexpected Recurrence of a Pre-existing Condition” mean, Beth?
Shawn, this means a condition that has been stable (no treatments or change in medication) for six months or more that has an unexpected recurrence of symptoms. Treatment for this recurrence will have limited coverage on most plans.
Question – What happens if I pay for medical services at the time of treatment during my travels. How do I file a claim with our travel medical insurance company?
Answer – Most travel medical insurance plans offer the option to file a claim online through your client portal, or via email.
Last question, Beth. “Will our travel medical insurance plan cover any of my maintenance medications?
No worries, Shawn. These are great questions. The answer to this question is “no.” Travel medical insurance plans will primarily cover for new medical injuries or illnesses. Any medication for an eligible event will be covered. For example, like antibiotics for an infection.
A couple last key thoughts, Shawn.
- Leave a copy of the policy ID card with a friend or family member at home.
- When in doubt of your travel medical insurance coverage, please call the 24-hour phone number on the card.
- Please also call or email us if there are any policy or claims questions, We at Good Neighbor Insurance brokerage, are always happy to answer them!
We wish you and your wife, Shawn, an amazing, safe, and spectacular travels throughout Indonesia and Australia.