Jason is traveling overseas to go paragliding, and Mark is traveling to play rugby internationally. Emily is bringing her expensive camera on an international tour, while Marissa is taking her laptop on an overseas business trip. Tom is concerned he might need to cancel his international flight, and Katy worries about an unexpected event that might interrupt her dream vacation. What do all of these people have in common? They all need special insurance coverage for international travel!
Guess what? All of them can get the international insurance coverage they need from the same insurance policy, without having to pay for coverage they don’t! Want to know how? Just ask Good Neighbor Insurance.
What International Travel Medical Insurance Plan does Good Neighbor Insurance Recommend?
Good Neighbor Insurance recommends Trawick International travel medical insurance. We have been offering these plans to our clients since 2013! It is an excellent plan for nearly every type of international travel, whether for families on vacations or tours, business trips, or playing competitive sports. It can be used for international work with humanitarian, NGO, Non-profit, or Not-For-Profit organizations, and also within the faith-based community as international missionary insurance.
We like it because it offers such a broad range of coverage and can be tailored to meet your individual needs. This way you won’t pay for coverage you won’t use. You can get insurance coverage for a few days up to 12 months, and can renew it for up to 2 years. You can also add coverage for sports, baggage, AD&D and other needs. We also like that it provides up to $50,000 of medical coverage for those over 80 years old.
What Benefits does the Trawick International Safe Travels Plan Offer?
The Trawick International plan can provide coverage for you, your spouse/domestic partner/traveling companion and dependent children/grandchildren up to age 21 years. Customized coverage for groups of 5 or more people is available under the Safe Travels for Groups. These plans are primary coverage, which means they pay claims without regard to any other health insurance.
The Trawick International plan includes coverage for:
- Accident and sickness medical expenses – up to the overall medical maximum limit
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment – can upgrade from $50,000 to $1 million
- Emergency medical evacuation – covered up to $2,000,000
- Political Evacuation
- Repatriation (or return) of Remains
- Emergency Reunion
- Trip Interruption – basic coverage of $7,500
- Lost Baggage (can be increased)
What Medical Expenses are Covered by the Trawick International Safe Travels Plan?
This plan will pay the following expenses (subject to the selected deductible, co-insurance and benefit maximums):
- Hospital room and board – the average daily rate for a semi-private room.
- Ancillary hospital expenses – services and supplies including operating room, laboratory tests, anesthesia and medicines when confined to a hospital.
- Daily intensive care unit – three times the average semi-private room rate when a patient in the hospital is confined in a bed in the intensive care unit.
- Medical emergency care room and supplies – incurred within 72 hours of an accident or sickness, including the attending doctor’s charges, x-rays, laboratory procedures, use of the emergency room and supplies.
- Doctor non-surgical treatment and examination – including the doctor’s initial visit, each follow-up visit and consultation visits when referred by the attending doctor.
- Doctor’s surgical expenses and assistant surgeon expenses.
- Anesthesiologist expenses for pre-operative screening and administration of anesthesia during a surgical procedure whether on an inpatient or outpatient basis.
- Physiotherapy physical medicine/chiropractic expenses on an inpatient or outpatient basis including treatment and office visits connected with such treatment when prescribed by a doctor. Includes diathermy, ultrasonic, whirlpool, heat treatments, adjustments, manipulation, or any form of physical therapy (limited to $50/visit, 1 visit/day and 10 visits/policy period).
- X-ray expenses (including reading charges).
- Dental expenses up to $250 due to accidents or emergency alleviation of pain including dental x-rays for the repair or treatment of each natural tooth.
- Ambulance expenses for transportation from the emergency site to the hospital.
- Prescription drug expenses including dressings, drugs and medicines prescribed by a doctor.
- Medical services and supplies: expenses for blood and blood transfusions; oxygen and its administration.
- Emergency medical treatment of pregnancy up to $2,500 per policy period.
- Mental or nervous disorders or rest cures up to $2,500 per policy period.
Does Trawick International Safe Travels Cover Pre-existing Conditions?
Pre-existing conditions are medical conditions that have been diagnosed or treated in the past, and prior to the effective date of coverage. Normally, pre-existing conditions are excluded from coverage.
However, there is a provision on the Trawick International and America for an unexpected recurrence of a pre-existing condition. There is limited coverage for unexpected emergencies regarding pre-existing conditions.
On the Trawick International, coverage to age 65 is limited to $20,000. For those over age 65, the coverage is $10,000 and is subject to deductible and coinsurance. On the Trawick America, coverage is limited to $1,000 and is subject to the deductible and coinsurance. If you need coverage for pre-existing conditions, we have other options as well.
Why is Medical Evacuation Coverage Important?
Medical evacuation coverage is considered to be essential for most international travel. In fact, it is typical for all of our short-term international travel health insurance to offer it. Even if you have a great hospital in your destination, they may not be equipped to handle certain types of medical conditions. If something like that happened, a medical evacuation will most likely be needed.
Being very expensive, we surely want to be sure that you and your loved ones are covered in this area. A medical evacuation is needed when there is a covered injury or illness that cannot be treated locally. You or someone with you would need to contact the company, and the company will communicate with medical personnel on the ground and take you to the nearest adequate medical facility for appropriate care.
What does the Trawick International Baggage Benefit Cover?
The baggage benefit pays up to $75 per article and up to $1,000 per policy period if your luggage is lost, stolen or damaged after being checked onto a common carrier. It also covers up to $300 for electronics or valuables. These include cellular phones, satellite phones, photographic equipment, tablet PC’s, computers, iPods, CD players and personal music and stereo equipment, CD’s, computers, computer games and associated equipment, hearing aids, telescopes and binoculars, antiques, jewelry, watches, furs, and articles made of or containing gold, silver or other precious metals or animal skins or hides.
There is an option to increase the baggage benefit to $3,500 under the Enhanced Baggage Benefit. Good Neighbor Insurance also has put together a FAQ (frequently asked questions and answers) article relating to baggage coverage as well as the Enhanced Baggage Benefit.
Which Coverages can be Added or Increased on the Trawick International Safe Travels Plan?
Trawick International offers options to add or increase certain coverages on your plan:
Sports Coverage: One coverage you can add is for sports done outside the U.S., and there are two forms of coverage for sports. One is considered hazardous activities or extreme sports, such things like paragliding and spelunking. The other is for organized sports: club sports, amateur sports, intercollegiate and interscholastic sports such as football, archery, and rugby.
Professional and semi-professional sports are never covered, and not every sport is covered. It is always good to check with us if you’re unsure about whether a specific sport qualifies.
If you’re traveling for your child’s international football or soccer tournament, you can get this insurance for your child and for yourself! Your child would be covered for normal new injuries and illnesses, and also be covered for injuries that could happen while playing the sport.
Home Country: Another coverage you can add is for home country coverage. Home country coverage is a two-part addition. You have coverage for incidental trips to your home country, as well as coverage back home (Follow Me Home) if you have any covered medical conditions that require further treatment after your trip.
Coverage Increases: Coverages you can increase include Lost Baggage and Accidental Death and Dismemberment. When you modify the baggage benefit ($75 per article), it becomes the Enhanced Baggage Benefit. This will increase the benefit and add baggage delay as a provision. The value per article is $300 for electronics or valuables, and up to $500 for other things.
Does Trawick Offer a Plan for Travel to the U.S.?
Trawick offers two areas of coverage, which are the USA and international (outside the USA). The Trawick America plan is for travel to the U.S. However, the rates differ on the Trawick America plan because medical expenses in the U.S. are much higher.
Does Trawick Offer a Trip Protection Plan?
Yes, in fact it is one of our top recommended trip protection plans, providing trip cancellation, trip interruption and travel delay coverage. The reason why it is a highly recommended option is because it is flexible and works great for many people.
Typically, most international travel insurance plans require one to start their trip from the United States. However, on the Trawick Safe Travels Trip Protection plan, there is no requirement to where you have to leave from; coverage is only available outside one’s home country. Thus, any type of traveler who is leaving their home country can secure this coverage. Those who are taking vacation, working overseas, doing volunteer work abroad and even short-term missionaries have secured the Safe Travels Trip Protection for their travels!
What is the Difference Between Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Coverage?
Both of these trip protection coverages reimburse your insured trip costs if your trip is cancelled or interrupted for an approved reason. The difference is that trip cancellation occurs prior to your departure and trip interruption occurs after your trip has started. The list of approved reasons is the same, whether your trip is cancelled or interrupted. Some of the approved reasons include sickness, injury, or death of the traveler, family member, traveling companion, or business partner when the sickness or injury is so disabling that the person cannot leave or continue a trip. Trip cancellation is covered at 100% of the trip cost and trip interruption may cover up to 150% of the trip cost.
How do I Renew a Trawick International Plan?
Here is some useful information for renewing a Trawick International plan:
A renewal notice will be emailed before the policy period ends with a link for you to go online and renew prior to your termination date.
You are subject to the following rules at renewal:
- Coverage may be renewed if it is initially purchased for a minimum of 3 months
- If available, additional periods are charged at the premium rate in force at the time of renewal
- The total policy period cannot exceed 24 months
- 5 days premium is the minimum acceptable renewal premium and 12 months premium is the maximum
- There are no grace periods for renewals. Once the policy has lapsed, you would need to reapply.
Once you reapply for a new policy, the pre-existing condition exclusion, deductible and co-insurance all reset.
Renewal notices are sent out 28 days, 14 days and 1 day prior to the expiration date.
# # # #
Keep yourself and your loved ones safe and secure while traveling overseas with a Trawick International insurance plan.
Good Neighbor Insurance has been in business since 1997. Call one of our expert licensed travel medical insurance agents at 1-866-636-9100 for all your travel and medical insurance options. Or you may call our Arizona office at 480-813-9100. Our trained international insurance agents are here to answer any of your questions and to find the best solution for your international medical cover. Thank you for allowing us to serve you, as you enjoy your travels outside the U.S.
Have amazing and safe travels!